Eight Habits for Raising Resilient, Self-reliant Children:
- Establish a structured, though not rigid, environment.
- Provide repeated experiences of responsibility and accountability. Children will learn and accept from the consequences.
- Work side by side to demonstrate a new or difficult concept but do not do the work for the child.
- In times of disappointment, allow your child to deal with adversity and develop a strategy for the future.
- Build a sense of ownership within children through age appropriate responsibilities and chores.
- Enable children to state their needs in respectfully assertive ways to adults and peers.
- Demonstrate your confidence in the child’s ability to solve their own problems.
- Hold your child accountable for their actions and inactions